15 Jun 16 - 03:16 PM
Choosing the right dental implant for you
There are many types of dental implant, made by many different implant companies. Each implant will have its’ own unique design with indications for use that vary depending upon the patient.
An important consideration is the reputation of the implant company and how much science supports their designs and clinical usage. A reputable company with excellent service history and product quality is an essential partner in implant treatment (think ‘Mercedes Benz’ for the car industry). At Southside Implant Centre we partner predominately with NobelBiocare, the first implant company.
An experienced dental implant surgeon will advise
- If a dental implant is the right solution for your needs, and
- The right dental implant for your particular circumstances.
Generally dental implant treatment will be chosen on the basis of the number of teeth being replaced.
An implant is inserted and bonds with your jawbone, after integration is completed an abutment is attached and a single crown fitted.
Multiple teeth can be replaced using implants with individual crowns, or by the use of an implant supported fixed bridge which attaches to your jawbone to form a strong foundation.
The choice of bridge or crowns will often depend on the number of teeth being replaced and their location.
This procedure is also known as full arch replacement.
Implants are placed into the upper or lower jaw as needed and are fitted with either individual replacement teeth or more commonly a fixed bridge or overdenture.
In each of the dental implant examples above the normal procedure will require:
- An initial consultation and scans to check the bone.
- Placement of the dental implants and often the placement of temporary teeth while the dental implant is fusing with your natural bone.
- Affixation of the crowns or bridges.
Bone augmentation may also be required where there is insufficient healthy natural bone to support the dental implant. Most commonly this is carried out by a bone graft.
Your dental implant surgeon will tell you if a bone augmentation is required and advise on the best option for you.
There are also a number of alternative dental implant techniques that can be discussed with your dental implant surgeon, these include:
- Immediate Load Dental Implants or Same Day Implants. These implants may be suitable for patients who have enough natural jawbone to allow an implant to be secure enough to support immediate placement and pressure on the new temporary tooth.
- Mini Implants. Mini dental implants (MDIs) are dental implants that are smaller than the most commonly used dental implants. Mini implants are placed through less-invasive techniques and measure less than 3 millimeters in diameter. Mini Implants are often used to secure a complete lower or loose denture and in patients who are not candidates for traditional dental implant surgery.
- All-on-4. All-on-4 is an alternative approach to place a full arch (top or bottom set) of fixed, replacement teeth. Four dental implants are used to stabilise the replacement teeth.The All-on-4 concept involves placing implants in available bone, thereby avoiding the need for bone grafting.
Special abutments allow a temporary set of replacement teeth to be placed on or around the same day and used with a modified diet while gum tissues heal and the implants integrate with natural bone. After about 3-6 months, the final bridge is then placed and the patient is able to resume a normal diet.
If you are considering surgical dental implants a dental implant surgeon will be able to guide you on the right dental implant for your needs. You will be advised dental implant options and the right dental implant device for your needs.
If you are looking for dental implants
in Sydney please call Southside Implant Centre on 9525 7725, Click to enquire on Dental Implant Costs
or view our completed Dental Implant galley
Being fully informed makes you fully empowered to make the right decision.